Learning about America!
Within the scope of my internship I do have many possibilities to attend a wide range of conferences, Science Cafés, Science Happy Hours, Science breakfast and Symposiums organised outside the Embassy. As much as I can I try to take advantage of it, not only to familiarize with the subjects I am or will be dealing with during my internship, but also to meet people and learn more about the America.
Last week I attended for example a conference organised by the NAFSA (Association for International Educators) and yesterday I attended a lecture about Science and Anti-Science: From Washington to Classroom. Both events had one thing in common: They not only stated that the U.S. is on a falling track in international competitiveness rankings. Attention was also given to other countries getting more powerful! A second common point is their poor outcome.
Is that it? Isn't that known for a while now that the U.S. may not be /is not the only player able to influence other regions in the world? Shouldn't they be a step further in taking concrete measures...? Apparently not.
The first conference set priority on the need of an increased student exchange for students going abroad or coming to the U.S. It is considered as positive that young people see and learn that there are other cultures in the world (really!?)It helps young people to develop respect towards things that are not bad but just different (that is sooo innovative...) The second conference praised decreasing funds in basic research - crucial for a competitive economy and national wealth. In addition it illustrated how policies do not listen to sound science.
On one side it is disturbing how little is said about a precise action plan that should be followed, on the other side it is rather shocking to reveal what current (poor) policies are in place.
To take the example of yesterday's lecture, there are many policies, programs or projects in place that are against or without scientific findings. Who spends 10billion USD per year on a Missile Defence Shield (in function since 2004) who does not work properly (on a scientific basis)? Who finances a sex education program for 28 million USD teaching only abstinence while scientific studies prove that teaching programs including other contraceptives are more efficient? Where is science in an education system where more than 50% (for the first time the last year) of American adults believe that human beings developed from earlier species or creations?
Well it seems that openness towards other countries is still a novelty here. In addition, programs are approved without or against scientific findings and one can just imagine what reasons may be behind these decisions. I guess (conservative) religion is just the most obvious but not the only one....
So far so good with negative news from the U.S.,- now telling something positive. Today I had the possibility to visit an electoral pool - a place in Maryland where 2'000 Americans went voting today. Together with some colleagues from the Embassy the procedure and voting system was explained to us. We were actually in the voting room where people come in, identify themselves according to their registration. Then they get their coded card and a receipt for it. Afterwards they go to the voting machine (computer with touch screen) and they follow the instructions. After signing that they voted, people take the card to recycle and that is it! This is the short version and of course we asked many if/how/what/when questions... but it is late now and I should rest a little bit.
Tomorrow is a day with an extraordinary number of events and conferences: It starts with a breakfast at the French Embassy, going for a coffe at the NGO Komen, in the afternoon I will be with the European Commission and then finish the day with a Science Café in the House of Sweden. Not to get me wrong: The major purpose of all these events are speeches, presentations and gatherings so I need to be fit (but for the French croissants I will take some appetite with me ;-) )
No comments:
Post a Comment