From the European Union to the Chimpanzee
Yesterday was a long day. A good thing started in the morning with a French croissant and some news from the (US) National Science Foundation. The U.S. sets priorities in international cooperation, shows in which projects they are involved to highlight their current engagement. The 13%-16% (promised) increase in their funds by Bush for the next fiscal year are however very unrealistic. The outcome of the game with the Congress will probably end up with a continuous flat budget in nominal terms.....
Then we went to a Lady's event where we had to endure emotional and morally pressured speeches from a NGO fighting breast cancer. Even though the subject is of interest and worth of actions and money expenditures - the way they approached us was to heavy and simply not in our way of seeing things.....
The day went on with some work at the Embassy and in the afternoon I went to the European Commission and later on I did go to the famous House of Sweden - for a funny Science Café: The topic was: Is Homo Sapiens just another animal? Lucky me that this event war rather visited by the majority of people believing in evolution (in contrast to the observation I stated in the previous post). A neuroscientist and an anthropologist shared their views of homo sapiens being. It was not only interesting but also funny! Late in the evening I tried to find my way home in the freezing wind....
Today there was the ERA-Link meeting at the Embassy of Austria. ERA-Link is the network of European Scientists abroad - in the US. The European Commissioner for Science and Research is about to visit the US and made us the pleasure to inform us about the new policies, priorities and especially the 7th Framework Programme where Switzerland is an engaging party, too. Europe has planned to expand massively their investments in research and development. According to the Commissioner it is the only way to be competitive on a long term basis - as cutting costs in production is not an option. After a wonderful luncheon and some hours in my little office I headed home to find a very excited housemate.
My housemate, U.S. citizen, used to be a stewardess for British Airways and a volunteer for Peace Corps a bit all over the world. Now she is the assistant of one of Bush's appointees for Africa within the Peace Corps. When I came home yesterday she announced that she is going to see President Bush tomorrow! "I can not wait until he leaves office" she says, but above all: "I am proud of America" and she is still honoured to see The President of the United States of America"- I guess she must like animals. :-)
Apparently she managed to be seated right next to him. No charisma he has, but of course she is happy to see him increasing funds for Africa which makes her even more proud of her compassionate country - as she is asserting personally. After I made some remarks about some possible reasons of his "sudden" increase in funds for Africa and raising questions about the money's destination, the conversation became a bit over-tense and I tried to stay on a more friendly pace. Values are different, views are different - and one should not too much interfere in the others believes, especially not when living under the same roof.... uhhlaa - but here I am with a Lady who is very very proud of her country and easily feels personally attacked when talking about her beloved home.
No comments:
Post a Comment