Sunday, February 15, 2009

Haircut made in China

“Made in China” means more than just the origin of a product. Similar to “made in Europe” or “Made in Switzerland” it contains the general understanding of a certain quality. Although, on our fabrics nowadays, “Made in China” is no longer surprising – designations like “Made in Vietnam” or “Made in Cambodia” reveal more thoughts. As far as my experience goes until now, one should start being careful in saying “made in China” is bad quality. Since many industries in China or somewhere else in the rising Asian industrial sphere, European technology within the machines is many times still the driving force and ensuring a certain degree of productivity and quality standard, at least for the products exported.

Yesterday, the time for a new hairstyle came along. I went from shopping mall to shopping mall, alongside the shopping street Huaihai Lu in Shanghai, looking for a hair dresser. Finally I found the HAIRSHOW in a new and trendy shopping mall. I sit down and a list was given with certain options. Within three seconds about five Chinese surrounded me, looking of what I want. I had the choice between different services:
- Junior hairstyle for 80 RMB
- Senior experience hairstyle for 120 RMB
- Fashion hairstyle for 150 RMB
- Artistic hairstyle for 180 RMB
- Absolute Fashion HAIRSHOW for more than 200 RMB
- The ultimate hairstyle for 300 RMB
Then it went on with
- Nail Language
- Make up
- Clothes
- Eyebrow shaping
- Massage
- .....

Isn’t that a totally new concept of selling a haircut? Depending the design and fashion of a certain item, the price is different, this I know from Europe, too. But depending the style provided on your head, they charge you differently. Somehow smart, because haircut can be a question of art and creativity. The idea of a good look and cut matching the person is worth a certain amount of money. However, I had troubles with my image mirror, pending on my decision If I go for a junior hairstyle - do I see any difference, or If I go for the fashion hairstyle - I do not want to look in the mirror again? Of course not, the young stylist says. I can always talk to the stylist and explain what I like and what I do not like. Ok, that is fair and I opt for the fashion hairstyle. However, the stylist recommends to go for the “senior”, since the stylist doing the “fashion” does not speak English. Isn’t that really really honest? A possible explanation of this honesty is the hierarchy. Of course a “fashion stylist” has more to say than a junior stylist and pretending to be on a different level may cause retaliation?

Anyway. I discussed with the senior stylist my future look. Then I got a head massage with shampoo. This task had not much to do with style and fashion and was done by another young Chinese. The hair was washed on a chair so comfortable I almost fell asleep. Not to forget the detail about the mouth protection due to hygiene. Back in front of the mirror the senior stylist starts its “main d’oeuvre”, not without ease I had to admit. He knew what he did, and worked fast. Shortly after, the younger Chinese came again to get my hair dry. A second time the stylist came to give my new cut the final touch. Then it went to the shampooing station again. Then, the stylist started drying my hair with different techniques, twisting, curling, turning and “strubbeling”. Finally, a little wax was used to give the ultimate and final touch to my new style and I looked in the mirror. I was happy:

Although I am a Dog according to the Chinese calendar and what I saw in the mirror was rather a Cat – I was more than content:
For 150RMB, which are about 15 EUR I got two shampoos, two massages, two haircuts and a “new” style that somehow suits me. The stylist worked with dedication and I had the impression he had a certain haircut in mind and pursuit it with commitment. He understands his craft and gave his best. Happily I agreed he takes pictures of his “creation” and with the smile of the entire HAIRSHOW team in front of me, I shock hands with “Seven” – the name of the senior stylist and said Goodbye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,
your description of your haircut experience sounds dreamy and captivating. Even better than “Waschen-Schneiden-Föhnen” shows mixed up with dance performance here in Zürich. I can hardly imagine how you could look like. Catish!? I guess I’m not all alone to being curious about your new fashion hairstyle look. Sure, it just looks great! I wouldn’t ever doubt on it. Seriously!! But just in case it doesn’t, at Thursday beginning Carnaval you would have been the best looking cat I stumbled across it. ;)
Sorry for not replying your e-mail! As soon as I finished to write my paper which the assistant is desperately waiting for – and frankly speaking I as well – I will send you an official invitation to drink whatever you please. When I remind correctly “Martini Rosso” not “Martini Rosé” as I wrongly assumed.
Well, take good care of you and… amuse-toi pleinement et profite à fond. saludos, Raul