Monday, October 20, 2008

Tubed London!

It was a very exciting moment to go on my first business trip to London by airplane. The meeting couldn't have been scheduled better: On a Friday. It did not take me one second and I contacted Maja to see If she will be in London for that weekend. Indeed she was and welcomed me last Friday evening at Kennington, after a long and hard business day close to Epsom.
Friday evening was spent quietly to get up early on Saturday for some tourist activities. London is nice (especially If it does not rain), even though not as charming as Barcelona. London is also busy! I felt like being in New York, just the buildings were not so tall (and the metro even smaller). On Saturday I was simply walking around: Westminster, Westminster Bridge, Westminster Abbey, St. James Park, music perfomance in front of Buckingham Palace, Picadilly Place, LSE campus and crossing the Tower Bridge. What a tour, especially with the glorious end of sitting on top and in the front of a famous Londonian bus.

In the evening we went to see Stomp. This mix between percussion, movement and visual comedy is to recommend, although there is a lack of a story and some dancing.
After the performance we were looking for some bar serving snacks for three little hungry stomachs. Nothing easier than that in busy London, one would think. The first bar was very loud and did no serve food, but at least we could have a drink. At 11 o'clock in the evening most people were already well drunk. The second bar had also a restaurant, but we werent' allowed to sit down because we did not want to order a main course. We were sent to the barmen who confessed that he is not allowed to serve snacks on the bar. So! After waiting and shacking heads, a bar table (where snacks could be served) was available: Our chance! It was difficult to get a hold of a waiter and by the time someone came to us for the order it was exactly 11.35h, meaning that the kitchen just closed! I thought of me being in the wrong city. I'd rather expected such regulated and unflexible rules in Switzerland or Germany - but London? If someone can help me out understanding this part - I am pleased to receive some explanation....
Then, I had a big departure trip, leaving from London Heathrow. Instead of having 30min with the tube, I had 1h05min to get to the airport. Lucky me I found a helpful employee calling to the gate so the crew does not close boarding. I was literally rushing through security (grrr), running to the gate and to be welcomed by some guys making fun of me! What matters is that I caught my airplance and that I could have a rest before spending yesterday evening in my nice little home.

No comments: